There are three difficult steps in testing:
- How to get testing started effectively
- How to solve defects effectively
- Finalizing testing. Readiness 85%->100%
In this article, we focus on point number 2; how to solve defects effectively.
How to solve defects effectively
You need the following in order to solve defects effectively:
1. The activities of the project, before the start of testing, are done correctly and according to the Projecttop Process guidelines.
2. A pre-agreed defect processing workflow that is communicated to all parties.
3. A common software for reporting and managing errors, that is,
4. Early agreed error handling meetings.
5. High-quality defect reports.
6. Testing schedules and resources have been prepared in time to handle errors.
There are three types of observations during testing:
- Open issues: Please read the article about Open issue management.
- Change requests: Please read the article about Change management.
- Defects: Please continue reading this article.
Defect processing workflow
It is worth doing a simple process for managing errors. The number of processors slows down the process.
Once the project and project training has been implemented in accordance with the Projecttop process, the defect management can be made simple. This is made possible by the high-quality specification and by knowledgeable testers.
Creating a defect
The quality of the defect reporting determines how effective the processing workflow is. The activity should be added by snapshots and error messages. The vendor must have the guide on how to repeat the error so that they can fix it. Projecttop will automatically add the dependency between defect and the test case.
Submit the document to the next author.
Change status and Assigned to, then Save. Enter chat comment and attachments
10 Decision required
44 Ready for testing
49 Tested OK
How to monitor defects
You can track defects from the Observatory-view. Place the filter in the type field as a “defect”, mark the Exclude ready-field if you don’t want to see the ready ones. You can save the layout and share it.
Defect status reporting
You can create real-time monitoring for defects by adding widgets to the dashboard. In the picture, four widgets can be seen for example.
Problem solving ability
You can track problem-solving ability from the widget “Open activity count and estimate.”
The report shows how many open issues are open. If the amount gets big, the project will be slowed down. Make sure that the problem-solving ability is sufficient. The project must have the ability to resolve open issues.
Here’s an example of a project that is in trouble. Problem-solving ability is not sufficient. The number of open issues is growing all the time because they cannot be solved. You can see how the line rises.
Here’s an example of a project that is going OK. Problem-solving ability is sufficient. Testers create new defects, but those are fixed so quickly that the amount does not rise.